Sunday, September 9, 2012

Rum and Raisin Cake

Rum and Raisin cake is my husband's favorite. Soft, Moist, Dark Chocolate cake with very mellow but distinctive flavor of Rum and lots of Raisins....makes this awesome Rum and Raisin Cake that can be served with or without whipped cream
I never had this cake before...this was the first time I was preparing this...and this was the first time I was tasting this...and let me tell you....This cake turned out to be one of those experiments that simply blew my mind away. I started out wondering how all the ingredients would co-mingle so nicely!!!!!!!!
The overwhelming flavor was of the deep rich chocolate due to the use of cocoa powder.
I can guarantee....if you have never tried this type of cake, you really don't know what you are missing.


Fresh from the oven...treat yourself with this yummy cake and discover something new about chocolate!!!


*If you prefer non-alcoholic cake you can replace the rum with equal amount of apple or pineapple juice.*







Ingredients:
  • 1 cup Water
  • 1/4 cup dark Rum or 1/2 cup Apple Juice
  • 2/3 cup chopped Raisins
  • 3/4 cup Butter
  • 1 Egg @ room temperature
  • 1 1/4 cup White Sugar
  • 1 2/3 cup All-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9 inches tube pan with oil and parchment.
  2. Boil one cup Water. Remove from and transfer into a mixing bowl. 
  3. Add Rum and Raisins. Melt Butter and beat Egg. Add to the raisin mixture.
  4. In a separate mixing bowl, sift Flour, Baking Soda, Cocoa Powder, and Sugar together. Mix well with a spatula. Make sure no lumps are left. Stir into raisin mixture and mix well. Be careful not to overmix. If the batter is too thick add a little more water.
  5. Pour into prepared pan and smooth batter evenly.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 32- 35 minutes or until a toothpick tests with a few moist crumbs adhering. Cool 15 minutes. Run a thin bladed knife around the edges to loosen and turn out the cake. Cool completely.
  7. This cake can simply be served with/without any topping along with some fresh fruits.










Good chefs always taste their recipe....Go Ahead...and say WOW!!!!!!!!!

19 comments:

aipi said...

wow.. that looks divine.. what a beautiful shape n color.... good one dear.. :-)

Anonymous said...

hi Anshu ,delicious looking cake ! bt a doubt...cake with 1 2/3cup of flour will turnout this big ? what size cup did u use ? also what size pan shd b used to bake ? when my doubt is cleared I will definitely love to try this cake.

Priya said...

Such a scrumptious cake, looks soooo tempting..

Anshu said...

Thanks Aipi & Priya!!

@ Anonymous
Thanks!
A cup is standardized measure which you can get in any store like Kohl's, Walmart,etc. I used 1 2/3 cup of All Purpose Flour and this cake is good for 4-5 people. I baked in a 9 inches TUBE pan as you can see in the top photograph.

Satya said...

wow cake looks so soft n spongy ...very tempting click dear

Satya
http://www.superyummyrecipes.com

Mahi said...

I tried this cake yesterday...and it came out great!!!!!
I made it in a round baking pan and the cake was very spongy and perfect sweet....
After a long time I made a good perfect cake..
Thanks for sharing the recipe...
I am your follower now :)

Deepti said...

This luks perfect n came out really well.

Aakanksha said...

This looks delicious....and excellent clicks...

Annie said...

Good work of art!!!!!! this cake is really a work of art...:) :)

Anshu said...

Thanks Deepti, Aakanksha and Annie

hampton said...

This looks so tempting!!!!! I am a follower of your blog...You have a really nice place here...
All the best...Happy Cooking!!!!!

Now Serving said...

Very nice entry, dear - I cannot tell if you signed up yet - per the event rules to make your entry eligible for contest award...Also please try to send a new entry too -you can send a max of 3 with 1 new entry -- Look forward :)

Anonymous said...

Delicious and easy. Went down a treat with my co-workers for morning tea.

Samantha Schofield said...

I have just made a rum and raisin sponge cake and googled it to see how I could ice it and your recipe came up...looks lovely- next time I'll make yours.. ss

Lea said...

Mouth-watering! This looks really delicious and seems like not your ordinary cake. It's a must try. Thank you for sharing your recipes with us. I'm a new fan! :)

sonu said...

hi anshu ,thank u so much for stopping by at palate corner and im so glad u have joined my space...sorry for messaging u late :D ...luved ur space and happy to follow u :)
btw the cake looks simply gorgeous...

Sameena Prathap said...

wow...that looks amzing...:)


Dr.Sameena@

http://myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.in/

Anonymous said...

Hi.. Can I ask what brand of rum did you use? What qualifies as dark rum?

Anshu Bhatnagar said...

I used Bacardi Black Rum.
Rum gets darker and darker the longer time it spends in the barrel.Every dark rum was once a white rum, then a light rum, then a gold rum before finally being dark.

Post a Comment

Hi Viewers,
Thanks for visiting my Blog. Hope this is a useful post for you.
YOUR COMMENTS = MY ENCOURAGEMENT :))
Please feel free to leave your comments, suggestions and questions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails