Thursday, February 14, 2013

PLAINTAIN KOFTAS (BALLS) with Rich Gravy


For me Cooking is Relaxing. For me Cooking is a Hobby. Slipping in a favorite CD to set the mood, sipping a cup of hot coffee with a spicy pizza from Dominos or a glass of red wine to boost the mood, :-) , is as important as the recipe we have planned and the ingredients in our fridgeCooking something new, something different, something special for your someone special is a reward in itself. And the additional bonus is the admiration you get.

I know, this relaxing while cooking, is a bit difficult in our everyday schedule, but I try to make it possible at least once in few weeks. And, yesterday was one such day. I tried my hands on Raw Bananas. The dish that I chose to cook was not that simple, so "Cooking while Relaxing" mantra has to be followed :-)




All thanks to internet and the digital world that has made experimenting in kitchen a lot more easier and successful. You just have to type Raw Banana recipes and you'll get hundreds of them. What a big help!!!
So this recipe is a mix n match of various recipes I got to see in various blogs.

Points to remember to make this recipe 'a killer one'
  • Over Cook Bananas can spoil the recipe.
  • Always add a slightly Roasted Flour to make the balls..
  • Adding cashew nut paste to enhance the gravy taste. 
Since I prepared this recipe on Valentine's Day...coincidentally...so I am linking to the following events: 
Here's what all you need:

For the Balls / Koftas -



For the Gravy -
  • 1 large Onion Paste
  • 2 large Tomatoes Puree
  • 1 tbsp Ginger - Garlic paste
  • 8-10 Cashews, roasted
  • 1 tsp Red Chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
  • 1 tsp Coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin powder 
  • A few springs of coriander leaves
  • Oil
  • Water (2 cups should be sufficient but it depends on how much gravy you need)
  • Salt, according to taste
Here's what you need to follow - 
  • Wash the bananas and potatoes thoroughly with warm water .
  • Fill a large saucepan with hot water. Heat the water on the stove top over high heat to bring it to a boil.
  • Place the green bananas and potatoes into the boiling water.
  • Reduce the heat to medium.
  • Boil the bananas for 20 minutes.
  • Remove the bananas from the water when you can easily pierce them with a fork. Slice off the ends of the bananas. Peel the skin off of the bananas.
  • Continue boiling the potatoes till done. De-skin.
Or Else, you can pressure cook bananas till one whistle, and potatoes for two more whistles.
  • Roast the Gram Flour over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes. Remember you only need to remove the raw texture, not the color. 
  • Mash the boiled bananas and Potatoes along with Roasted Flour, grated Onion, Green Chili, Coriander leaves, Ginger - Garlic paste, Red Chili powder  or Fresh Black Pepper powder Cumin powder and Salt.
  • Make smooth balls out of this mixture. 

  • Whenever making vegetarian fry items, I prefer my  cute little Bella Deep Fryer, as after frying vegetarian items, I can reuse the oil for many days. But this time, I used deep frying pan. No idea...why????
  • Deep fry the balls over medium-low heat and keep aside.



For the Gravy
  • Now, drain away the excess oil, and in the same oil add onion paste. Fry till translucent.
  • Meanwhile grind Cashews to make a fine powder. 
  • Add Ginger – Garlic paste, along with the Cashew-nut powder. Fry for another 4-5 minutes stirring continuously so as to cook the Cashew-nut powder properly. 

  • Add Turmeric, Red Chili powder, Cumin powder and Coriander powder. Add a tablespoon of water to prevent burning of the mixture. 
  • Stir in tomato puree, cook covered for a few minutes. Add boiled water to get the desired consistency. Add Salt, cover and cook for a while.

To serve :
  • Place Banana Balls/Koftas in a shallow dish and pour hot gravy on top.
  • Garnish with fresh coriander. Serve hot with rice or bread of your choice.

I am sending this spicy treat to Spicy Chilly… 









Bon Vivant #12 - Quixotic Fixes & Announcement

23 comments:

Bharathy said...

This is absolutely a novel as well as an interesting recipe!!

You have a lovely homely space with fine recipes, Anshu! :)

Thanks a bunch for sending over your lovely recipe for the event! All the best :)

P.S- I love the way you have linked with the shopping site, casually.. (I know it will look strange and out of topic if we do otherwise..cant help it..since they are the sponsors :))

Thanxs again, girl :)

Amy said...

so delicious!! a very new recipe for me,yet mouthwatering...

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Absolutely yummy kofta curry Anshu. Welcome back to blogging world dear. Happy Valentine's Day!

Premalatha Aravindhan said...

wow yummy delight...luks tempting.

Priya said...

Super droolworthy balls, loving that gorgeous curry.

kitchen flavours said...

Lovely curry! Have not tried raw banana in a curry dish before!

Michelle said...

I've never seen anything like this! Thank you for sharing this week with See Ya in the Gumbo. I enjoyed reading about something new.

Ramya Krishnamurthy said...

super looks so crisp and lovely:)

confusioncook.com said...

both my hubby & I love raw banana dishes. I'm sure he is going to love this too.

Pari Vasisht said...

Thanks for linking dear.

Chumkie Mukherjee said...

Lovely recipe, Anshu, and such clear directions! I've just started following your blog and would welcome you doing the same on my blog.
Chumkie.
My Favourite Recipes.

Amy said...

this is so delicious and new to me...
Thanks a lot for sharing with the event....

ludooles said...

I always check out this website for healthy and tasy recipe's - www.excellentprotein.com - My favourite is the sugar free chocolate pudding because it just tastes amazing

Sumee said...

Banana koftas look good.. I have never tried them in koftas.. To be eligible for giveaway please like my FB page. thnx

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme.
Did you develop this site yourself? Please reply back as I'm attempting to create my very own site and want to know where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Cheers!

my site ... just click the next webpage

Nayana said...

We love just regular banana Sabji so I think we will love this one..

Rasa nandini said...

OMG this is amazing Recipe nice clicks <3

Neela Rufus said...

Love your blog! I'm happy to follow you, you can visit my blog when you find time :)
http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

Sapana Behl said...

Hi! You have a nice blog with amazing clicks . I have just started following you and it would be highly encouraging if you may visit/follow me back.
http://cookingwithsapana.blogspot.com
Thanks
Sapana

Suresh Urs said...

Banana's i love it alot. Cause from childhood i eat it alot. After my ear operation i scared to have banana but i can eat the dishes made of banana. Nice fantastic post. CLickfoodsnearme.

Magdalena - Recipes.in said...

Hi,

I'd like to invite you to join the site Recipes.in where users can search through hundreds of thousands of recipes from Indian food sites and blogs.

We noticed that you have a great number of tasty recipes on your blog and would like to suggest you have a look at our Top Food Blogs.

If you want to add your food blog to the list and have your recipes indexed on Recipes.in all you have to do is follow the instructions here: http://www.recipes.in/add-your-food-blog.

I hope you will join us, your recipes reach even more users and your food blog will be up there in the top!

Warm regards,
Magdalena - info@recipes.in

ZeeKhana Khazana said...

It is yet another delicious dish to cook. The potato items are very favourite and you have added banana flavour too. The rest of the linked sites are also inspiring and lucrative Indian Recipes to serve your family members.

Asha Shivakumar said...

I have never tried this. It looks delicious..Thanks for sharing..

Post a Comment

Hi Viewers,
Thanks for visiting my Blog. Hope this is a useful post for you.
YOUR COMMENTS = MY ENCOURAGEMENT :))
Please feel free to leave your comments, suggestions and questions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails