Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Special - Creamy MANGO KULFI - Flavored Frozen Indian Dessert


The sun has started playing peek-a-boo, as the summers here in Hyderabad, bids its final goodbye. The grey and gloomy clouds are covering the bright and sunny sun. 

Every-year I eagerly wait for this season of rain, and picnic, and rainbow, and the most beautiful fall colors. But this year I am just waiting for that silver-lining, hiding behind the dark-gloomy clouds. Waiting for the law of nature to happen, the law which states that "everything happens for a reason. If not today. Tomorrow will be the day"!

Give me some sunshine, / Give me some rain / Give me another chance / I wanna grow up once again.

And, it is well said, When you're stressed; You eat Ice cream, cake, chocolate and sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is Desserts.

Same thing is happening with me. But, whatever happens, life must go on, right? 
I really would like to thank my darling husband for all the chocolates and different flavors of Ice cream, he is bringing for me the every other day.

I love Ice cream, each and every form of Ice cream. Happy or sad, stressed or relaxed, eating Ice Cream is like a meditation for me. My freezer is mostly full of flavorful store-bought Ice Creams. The only hinge behind my love with Ice cream is that I have to enjoy this lovely 'scoops of joy' all alone. My darling is not even a tiny lover of Ice Cream.....    in spite my meditation continues :-)



But recently, I discovered, that my hubby dear, keeps a little corner for creamy, soft and sugary "Kulfi". Ahhh! what else I want, as I said earlier, I love every form of Ice Cream, whipped or unwhipped.
Kulfi, "the ancestor of modern day Ice Cream". Unlike Ice Creams, kulfi does not need to be churned or whipped. 

Instead, a simple process that includes 
  • Evaporating full cream milk via slow cooking, thus reducing its volume by half. Mixture should be velvety in texture
  • Add in the sugar & sweetened condensed milk
    ( I have a sweet tooth, so sugar + sweetened ) 
  • Cool
  • Add the Spices and Flavorings - green or white Cardamom, Lavender flowers, Rose water, unsalted-untoasted Nuts, Fruits ( pureed or/and finely chopped), Dried Coconut, Lemon Zest
  • Pour the mixture into molds - Popsicle or stainless steel or paper cups or shot glasses.
  • Freeze
  • Enjoy the creamy dessert in the next 2 hours.


Here is the tried and tested recipe which includes many flavor with the key ingredient as MANGO. I have used both Mango Puree and pieces.
Ingredients:
  • 2 Liters Milk
  • 8 -10 green cardamom pods
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 75 ml 1/4 can Milkmaid Condensed Milk
  • Handful sliced almonds
  • Handful sliced pistachios
  • 2 Alphonso mangoes, one pureed and one finely chopped

Directions:
  • Pour the milk into a wide, heavy based sauce pan and bring to boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat just to the point to allow the milk to simmer vigorously but without boiling over. 
  • Meanwhile, in a mortar and pestle, grind the cardamom seeds to nearly a fine powder.
  • Keep on stirring the milk very often to prevent browning/burning of the sides and the milk from scalding the bottom. 
  • When the milk has reduced to about a third of the original amount, add in the sugar, Cardamom powder, sliced Pistachios and Almonds. Stir and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes.




  • Remove from heat and let it cool completely. 
  • Add the pureed and the finely chopped Mangoes. Mix well.








  • Put into the freezer to freeze. Freezing time is about 2-4 hours.
Remove the frozen Kulfi from the molds by running a sharp knife around the edges and slip it onto a serving plate (it should slip off easily, if it doesn't then dip the bowl in hot water and try again).



Shot Glasses can directly be served.





19 comments:

Rafeeda AR said...

such a yummy treat...

Priya Suresh said...

Very refreshing and droolworthy kulfi,just drooling.

Asha Shivakumar said...

Wow, that's a lot of icecream in your freeze. I would like a dig at it. What's with women, chocolate and icecreams, don't understand that..

kitchen queen said...

refreshing and yummy mango kulfi.

Anonymous said...

Oh super gorgeous clicks! A good photographer

Heather Schmitt-Gonzalez said...

I have always wanted to try kulfi! This sounds and looks so cooling...and so tasty!

Alexis AKA MOM said...

I've never heard of that before, it sounds wonderful!!!

gexhouse2 said...

pakistan is very rich in terms of producing mangoes.

Mango exporter
Sindhri mango exporter

Maahi said...

simply love the presentation. very beautiful focal black and white.

ZeeKhana Khazana said...

I like the creamy and soft Mango Kulfi. It is yummy and delicious treat for me. Mangos are very common in various Indian Food Recipes in any form from pickle to fruit dishes.

Manjula Bharath said...

wow kulfi looks super delicious and yummy dear :) tempting me badly :) First time here and happy to follow you :) Do chk my blog too :)
http://desifiesta.blogspot.com/

Arpit Kothari said...

I like this food.. I am a foodies so, search many things on net I found two more links are awesome 1st is Ahmedabad Best Restaurants
and 2nd is Find best dishes at restaurants in Ahmedabad, you can also upload your recipe here..

Hope you like it...

Sofia Sana said...

Love, love, love theMango kulfi you make!
It's been ages since I freezes and I have to try this fast method.
Have a great long weekend:)..
I find it really good...
Great piece of work.
It´s nice,

Free classified ads with photos....



amol sanap said...

nice recipe, I like it...

Anonymous said...

Brilliant...you have a very nice blog. Love your rajasthani blog too

Vaitheeswaran Balakrishnan said...

Very Detailed and nice post..

Know how to do Pumpkin Spice cake Recipe here

QUALITY SERVICES said...

Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing
Quality Services & Training Pvt.Ltd.

Gexton said...

Your blogs are truly awesome I have no words to praise for your blogs.
mango exporter in pakistan

MM Mithaiwala said...

How WOW is this ! Epic clicks & informative Blog post , thanks for sharing :)

Well we have a Happy wala News for all you sweet lovers

Buy mithai with traditional taste, international hygiene and production standards, and beautiful handcrafted packaging to retail as well as wholesale clients at prices that surprise only at MM Mithaiwala, the Indian sweets superstore in Mumbai.

Visit www.mmmithaiwala.com now! Order Online NOW !

Post a Comment

Hi Viewers,
Thanks for visiting my Blog. Hope this is a useful post for you.
YOUR COMMENTS = MY ENCOURAGEMENT :))
Please feel free to leave your comments, suggestions and questions.

Related Posts with Thumbnails